top of page

Ryback Regimen LLC Group

Public·9 members

Exciting topic this week. Self-talk! Some of you know I am currently studying to get my NASM CPT. The new Chapter I am reading is about Behavioral Coaching. So far the chapter has covered data tracking, goal setting, and motivation. But the negative self-talk jumped out to me. As an ex-collegiate athlete, I've been there many times. Hopefully some of the tips from the chapter and my past experiences give your kids some strategies to flip negative self-talk into positive.

Strategy 1: Avoid "Not"

Some common phrases when athletes are struggling are "I can't do this" or "I'm not good enough." Simply removing the "not" from the sentence completely flips the meaning and state of mind. "I can do this", "I am good enough", "I'm the best", "I worked hard for this, I'm ready." Give it a shot. It seems like players these days almost find it cool to throw helmets or call themselves bad. Maybe they think calling themselves bad helps to avoid someone else doing it? Either way it's not helping. Never has, never will. Not to mention it's childish and embarassing. Embarassing for the family, the program, and the player. So let's avoid the word "not."

Story 1: NJAC POY

I used to think bad things about myself all the time. Small hips, small shoulders, 150lbs soaking wet out of high school. I never thought I was that good. Especially when I went to college, rock bottom of the pitching staff. We had multiple pitchers throwing 90+ while I was sitting 80-84ish as a freshman. The Pitcher of the Year award was always given to someone 90+ and a potential draft pick. The head coach Mike Dickson recommended a book for me called Relentless. It's written by Tim Grover who trained Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, Charles Barkley and a bunch of the greatest athletes to ever do it. If you're serious about getting better, you will read it. I like the audible better. Tim talks about knowing you're prepared, knowing you're the best, and TRUSTING yourself. "You got this. You've made this shot 1000 times in practice. This is easy. You put in the hard work, this is the fun part. Drain this shot and enjoy the glory that comes with it." I'm definitely paraphrasing as Tim talks about how the real greats don't enjoy the glory that much. The point is the positive-self talk. No negatives, it's all about telling yourself you CAN do something. I convinced myself I was the best pitcher in the NJAC from the work I put in, and the award came that same year. Without the trust and belief in myself...no shot I win that award.

Strategy 2: Stopping

Stopping is a strategy that involves saying "STOP" outloud as soon as doubt or a negative narrative comes in. Become aware of your negative thought process. Make a list of your common negative statements. Write them down. Make a list positive thoughts to replace those negative statements as soon as doubt creeps in. Remind yourself of your goals when negativity creeps in. Oh you want to play college baseball? How is telling yourself you suck going to help you get there? It won't. So stop doing it. Thoughts are just thoughts. They pop in and out of your mind all day. They do not determine who you are or what you are capable of.

Story 2: The Decision

No story here but this technique reminds me of the golden shield Kevin Hart talks about in "The Decision." Basically he doesn't let anything negative get passed his imaginary golden shield. Works for me! Check out that book or audible. Great self-help book.

Strategy 3: Imagery

The mind is powerful. How often do dreams seem real? Even daydreams. Use your imagination. Visualize live situations. People can imagine themselves approaching exercise or physical activity with greater confidence. They can mentally rehearse their performances with positive feelings and outcomes, and they can imagine positive outcomes to contribute to continued motivation. Studies show that imagery can directly improve conifdence and reduce anxiety.

Story 3: South Jersey Thunder

I'm not sure how everyone else's brain works but I have VIVID memories from playing. I still remember being 9 years old playing for the SJ Thunder (later merged with Young Guns) and watching my coach break his $200 Oakley's in half becuase someone struck out looking while we were up 8 runs. After the game he said "you guys need to learn how to step on their throat." The story isn't about stepping on anyone's throat. The point is this game creates memories all day every day. I garauntee these kids remember their homeruns and other big moments. They can still see the pitcher's mechanics, the jersey he was wearing, and what part of the field the ball went to. The brain is so powerful. Imagine yourself hitting that double, making that diving play, or getting the big strikeout. I think this strategy is overlooked because it seems odd. All the best athletes do it. A bunch of kids I train say they are serious, but don't do this. Why not? You don't want to be different? You're going to have to be "different" if you want to be in the 3% of the population that plays at the college level.

Hope these help. Keep working hard!

Blake Anderson

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...
bottom of page